By Nbc17 Staff
The 27th International Festival is this weekend at the Raleigh Convention Center and NBC-17 is highlighting different countries that will be represented.
India has a massive population of over 1.1 billion. The various styles of dance will be on display at the International Festival.
Kathak dancing originated in northern India. It is known for it’s story telling. But some pieces may focus on rhythmic pattern movements.
Folk dancing also originated in northern India where it is arid and hot. Women would wear colorful outfits to bring life to their surroundings. Dancers will dance with jugs balanced on their heads. This dance is usually performed at night and the jugs are filled with flames.
Indian cuisine is diverse and many dishes will be available this weekend. One is rice paleo. Below is a recipe for this traditional Indian dish.
Rice Pilaf with Cauliflower, Peas & Potato
Indian Basmati rice pilaf is a delicious option for lunch or dinner as a main dish.
– 1-cup aromatic Basmati rice
– ½ Cauliflower cut into medium-sized florets
– ½ cup frozen peas
– 1 red potato sliced lengthwise (optional)
– ½ onion sliced thinly
-1 small piece of ginger crushed or grated
– 2 green chiles cut lengthwise for garnish (optional)
– 1 tomato chopped
– 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander or grated carrot can be used
– 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil
– 3 tablespoon cashew halves
Dry whole spices
– ¼ teaspoon Tumeric powder (optional)
– ¼ tablespoon of Garam Masala
– 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 4-6 whole cloves
– 2 green cardamoms
– 3 to 4 bay leaves
METHOD OF PREPERATION
Before starting to cook, wash the rice several times and let it soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain water when you’re ready to add rice to spices.
– Heat the oil in a non-stick or stainless steel pan over medium heat. Add cumin, bay leaves, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, cloves and ginger and stir in chopped tomato. Cook 1 minute. Add cauliflower florets, potato slices and salt to the spice mixture. Saute for 1 minute, add 2 tablespoons of water to this mixture and cook it for another minute. Put it aside. Now get the rice cooker out.
– Add 1-1/2 cups of water to the ricer cooker pan and slide the drained rice. Now add the spice and vegetables mixture to the rice. Cover with lid and plug in the rice cooker.
– Cook for a few minutes and add cashews. Stir and mix softly with a spatula and over.
– Check after 12-15 minutes and test a kernel of rice and close the lid. It is necessary to feel that rice is tender and fluff. Garnish rice with coriander leaves and/or grated carrots. Serve hot!