Buncombe County school officials say a 9-year-old boy can use his “My Little Pony” backpack when he returns to class.
The boy's family said he was prevented from carrying the backpack to Candler Elementary School because administrators said it “triggered” bullying.
Noreen Bruce had pulled her son out of the school last week.
“We are pleased the school system is working closely with us,” Bruce said after Thursday's meeting.
“We had a real heart-to-heart talk,” she said after the meeting with superintendent Tony Baldwin and director of student services David Thompson
Bruce said she will work with Thompson to help organize a parent advisory council on bullying.
Buncombe County Schools administrators released a statement Thursday saying they would work with Bruce to make a safe transition plan for her son to bring his book bag to school.
The statement says school officials regret that the issue of being told to leave the book bag at home was perceived as blaming the boy.
“Every situation with young children is a teachable moment and we will use this example in our efforts to address a wider issue of bullying. We ask for everyone's patience and understanding as we continue to work collaboratively with the family toward a resolution,” the statement said.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.