Plans are now in place for several events in downtown Pinehurst and Southern Pines during the two weeks when the U.S. Open and Women’s Open are played at Pinehurst in June.
The events will give people opportunities to enjoy more than just the action on the golf course. For people without a ticket, the events also will be a chance to take in the atmosphere of the Opens without being at the golf course.
The United States Golf Association has worked with the Village of Pinehurst to organize events in Tufts Park. A centerpiece of the events in Pinehurst will be a large covered stage in the Park. The stage will be home to a live music and a 9-foot by 12-foot television screen that will show several golf-related films and televised coverage of the Opens.
While something is planned in Pinehurst most nights during the Opens, Southern Pines has planned three nights of live music.
“The town and the business association is doing everything they can to remind our out-of-town guests and our local residents about what’s going on in Pinehurst, in Southern Pines. We can only do the very best we can do and then we’ll find out,” commented Sundi McLaughlin at Mockingbird in downtown Southern Pines.
“Even if it’s just locals who show up, at least [this schedule of events] is something for them. Anything that draws a crowd and reminds people of this beautiful downtown, I’m a fan of.”
Highlights of the downtown event schedules follow:
Tuesday, June 10
- Presentation of the Bob Jones Award, the USGA’s highest honor, posthumously awarded to 1999 U.S. Open Champion Payne Stewart. Members of Stewart’s family will accept the award. 5 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
- Official opening of the “U.S. Open Experience,” the village’s fan zone area. The final hour of the televised coverage of 1999 Open at Pinehurst will be shown. 7:30 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Wednesday, June 11
- Live music by The Embers. 6 p.m., grass lot beside Sunrise Theater, downtown Southern Pines
- Live music by the 82nd Airborne All-American Chorus, Loose Cannons and Freedoms Grove. 7:30 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Thursday, June 12
- Showing of two films from “The Spirit of the U.S. Open.” 8:30 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Friday, June 13
- Wine Walk. 5:30-7:30 p.m., downtown Pinehurst
- Live music by the U.S. Army Ground Forces Band. 6:30 p.m., Downtown Park, Southern Pines
- Live music by the North Carolina Symphony. 8:30 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Saturday, June 14
- Live music by the Mass Pipe Band. 9:15 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Wednesday, June 18
- Live music by the Band of Oz. 6 p.m., grass lot beside Sunrise Theater, downtown Southern Pines
- Family Night including kids golfing activities. 7:30 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Thursday, June 19
- Showing of two films from “The Spirit of the U.S. Open” followed by discussion with USGA historian Lee Pace. 8:00 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Friday, June 20
- Wine Walk. 5:30-7:30, downtown Pinehurst
- Live music by the Mass Pine Band. 9 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Saturday, June 20
- Live music by the Carolina Philharmonic. 8:30 p.m., Tufts Park, Pinehurst
Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.