© 2013 Cook for Good, used by permission.
Active time: 15 minutes. Total time: 50 minutes. Serves 8.
· 1 cup white whole wheat or all-purpose flour (120 grams)
· 3/4 cup sugar (150 grams)
· 2 tablespoons cocoa(10 grams)
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· ½ cup coconut milk beverage
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 3/4 cup hot water
· 3/4 cup brown sugar (163 grams)
· 1 tablespoon Hershey’s cocoa (5 grams)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Heat coconut milk beverage and coconut spread in a microwave-safe container in the microwave until spread melts, about 1 minute on high. Stir vanilla into liquid and pour onto flour mixture. Stir until smooth, using a spatula to include any dry parts on the bottom of the bowl. More stirring is not better, though: you don’t want to develop the gluten network and make the cake tough. Pour batter into greased cake pan.
- Heat water in a microwave on high until hot to the touch, about one minute. Put hot water, brown sugar, and remaining cocoa into batter bowl. Swish to combine and to pick up remaining batter. Gently pour hot liquid over cake batter. Bake for 35 minutes or until top is medium brown and chocolate sauce bubbles around the edges.
- Let cake firm up for about 10 minutes, then serve by cutting into pieces, flipping onto the serving plate, and topping with any chocolate sauce left in the pan. Keep any extra covered at room temperature for about three days. To serve, cut, flip, top, and then microwave until topping goes molten again, about 30 seconds on high per piece.