A tourist-friendly beach named for a Hawaii surfing legend has been dubbed the best U.S. public beach in this year’s ranking by Dr. Beach.
Duke Kahanamoku Beach, a well-groomed crescent of blond sand and palm trees by the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, beat out more than 600 other beaches for the distinction.
Stephen Leatherman is the Florida International University coastal science professor who goes by the nickname Dr. Beach. He says the cleanliness, safe conditions, amenities and beautiful views at Duke Kahanamoku Beach pushed it to the top of his 24th annual list.
The Honolulu beach is the fourth on Oahu and 13th overall in Hawaii to take top honors. This year’s top 10 also includes beaches in Florida, North Carolina, Massachusetts, South Carolina and elsewhere in Hawaii.
Dr. Beach’s Top 10 beaches
1. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Barefoot Beach, Bonita Springs, Florida
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
4. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
6. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina
7. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Florida
8. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
10. Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, Naples, Florida