What to do if Arthur disrupts your July 4 vacation on NC coast

What to do if Arthur disrupts your July 4 vacation on NC coast (Image 1)

Tropical Storm Arthur is expected to become a hurricane by July 4 and is moving towards the North Carolina coast during one of the busiest weeks of the summer travel season.

For those heading to the coast for the Fourth of July, there is some information from the Attorney General’s Office to help you if your vacation plans are interrupted by the storm.

“Know your rights as a consumer in case this storm disrupts your vacation,” Attorney General Roy Cooper said Wednesday in a written release. “Be sure to check with your hotel or rental agency so you know what to expect if you need to evacuate or can’t get to your destination.”

Vacation rentals:

North Carolina’s Vacation Rental Act (N.C. General Statute Chapter 42-A) protects consumers who rent a vacation property for fewer than 90 days. Under the law, the landlord must give you a written rental agreement that spells out your rights and obligations as a tenant, the rights and obligations of the landlord and/or broker, and the details of what you’ll pay.

Once you sign a vacation rental agreement, you and the landlord agree to abide by its terms. Landlords are required by law to keep the property safe and habitable.

If your vacation gets canceled or cut short by the threat of a hurricane:

Your landlord may have offered you insurance on your vacation rental, which would cover the cost of any nights you miss due to a mandatory evacuation. If you’re ordered to evacuate and were not given a chance to purchase insurance, the landlord is required to refund your money for each night you can’t stay at the rental property due to the mandatory evacuation.

If you were offered rental insurance when you signed the rental agreement and you didn’t take it, then the owner is not required to refund your money in case of a mandatory evacuation.

If you’re unable to reach your vacation rental property because of closed roads or other transportation problems, contact the rental agency or landlord. Whether or not you are entitled to a refund will depend upon the facts of your particular situation, such as whether or not alternate routes are open.

If you rented the property through a real estate or property management company and have a complaint or question, contact the North Carolina Real Estate Commission at (919) 875-3700.

Hotel Reservations:

Many consumers have booked rooms at hotels along the North Carolina coast for the Fourth of July weekend. If you’re concerned that you may not be able to keep your reservation due to severe weather, contact the hotel right away.

Be sure to ask about cancellation policies before you book a hotel room. Some hotels require a deposit or other upfront payment that you may lose if you cancel or otherwise change your reservation.

If you paid in advance, whether or not you may be eligible for a refund will likely depend on the hotel’s cancellation policy and your specific circumstances. For example, if the electricity is out at the hotel, or the rooms are uninhabitable or unsafe for any reason, then you should be entitled to get your money back.

To file a complaint about a North Carolina hotel or motel, contact the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM toll-free within the state or file a complaint online at www.ncdoj.gov.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s