The criminal case has been delayed for the former manager of a Boone motel where three guests died of carbon monoxide poisoning two years ago.
Multiple media outlets reported that prosecutor Matt Rupp asked a judge in Boone to delay the case against 51-year-old Damon Mallatere be delayed until July 6.
Rupp said prosecutors and defense attorneys need more time to discuss the case.
Mallatere was indicted in January 2014 on manslaughter charges in the 2013 deaths of Daryl and Shirley Jenkins of Longview, Washington, as well as Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, South Carolina. Malletere also is charged with assault in the poisoning of Jeffrey’s mother, who survived.
The couple died in April 2013. The 11-year-old boy died in the same room two months later.
- NC judge issues injunction in Boone motel deaths
- Judge removes himself from Boone motel death case
- Grand jury indicts motel owner in 3 NC gas deaths
- Boone motel deaths: Manual recommended carbon monoxide detectors
- Boone officials say heater replaced without permit
- Medical examiner resigns in wake of Boone hotel death
- Police: Pool water heater cited in NC motel deaths
- Police: Gas in NC motel where boy, 2 others died
- 1 dead in motel room where 2 died in April
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.