Rape charge dismissed against ex-Tar Heels basketball player

Rape charge dismissed against ex-Tar Heels basketball player (Image 1)

A prosecutor says his office has dismissed a second-degree rape charge against a former University of North Carolina men’s basketball player.

Durham County district attorney Roger Echols said Wednesday that the charge against Melvin Scott was dismissed earlier this week.

Scott, 33, of Durham, was arrested in November. A Durham police spokeswoman said at the time that the case involved “a female acquaintance” and was connected to an incident in August.

Butch Williams, a Durham attorney representing Scott, said Wednesday evening that the dismissal would help Scott “get his life back together and get on with life.”

Scott played for the Tar Heels from 2001-05 under coach Matt Doherty and later under coach Roy Williams. He was a reserve on the school’s 2005 national championship team under Williams.

RELATED STORIES

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s