Fayetteville emergency responders battled a fire Wednesday at vacant commercial building on Murchison Road near Pamalee Drive.
The building once housed a Winn Dixie but has been vacant for several years, authorities said.
Heavy smoke and fire were visible by first responders.
The fire was under control in about an hour.
The Family Dollar next to the vacant building was evactuated but later reopened.
No one was injured in the incident.
Authorities said the fire likely started from a discarded cigarette while demolition of the roof was in progress.
Copyright 2015 WNCN. All rights reserved.