Prosecutor: No more charges expected in coal ash case

Prosecutor: No more charges expected in coal ash case (Image 1)

One of the federal prosecutors who supervised the criminal case over Duke Energy’s coal ash pollution says he doesn’t expect to file any additional charges in the case.

United States Attorney Thomas G. Walker of the Eastern District of North Carolina said Friday his office has completed a thorough investigation of the available evidence. In the wake of last year’s massive Dan River coal ash spill, Walker’s office issued more than two dozen subpoenas to Duke, as well as state environmental and utilities regulators.

The nation’s largest electricity company pleaded guilty Thursday to nine criminal violations of the federal Clean Water Act, agreeing to pay $102 million in fines and restitution.

A top official at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says the government may still pursue civil lawsuits against Duke.

RELATED STORIES

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s