A python in Australia got more than he bargained for when he swallowed the tongs his owner was using to feed him a rat.
The snake’s owner quickly sought help from the University of Adelaide, where the X-ray above was taken. The barbecue tongs are clearly visible, along with the body of the rat at the front end of the tongs.
After weighing the options, Dr. Oliver Funnell decided surgery was required. “We were able to remove them quite easily once we got the big end out,” he said.
The python is expected to make a full recovery. The rat wasn’t so lucky.
Copyright NBC News 2015. All rights reserved.