RALEIGH, NC (WNCN) — A fire sparked by mechanical failure sent a party bus up in flames in Raleigh Thursday night.
The incident happened around 8:45 p.m. on Industrial Drive near the intersection of Six Forks and Wake Forest roads.
Raleigh police said the fire started in the engine due to mechanical failure.
The hood of the vehicle was open as the fire started and after several minutes the flames were 20-feet high and had spread into the passenger areas of the bus, destroying the vehicle.
Nineteen to 20 people were partying on the bus when the fire started, but managed to exit before the fire spread, said Kendall Hocutt, assistant chief fire marshal of the Raleigh Fire Department.
“Not saying that the bus wasn’t maintained, but on any of our vehicles especially with the weather we’ve had, hot weather, it’s good to make sure your vehicles are in good working condition,” Hocutt said.
After the fire had spread to the entire bus, fire crews showed up to extinguish the blaze.
Fire fighters needed around 800 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.
Jonathan Williams, who owns the bus, was driving it at the time of the fire, Hocutt said.
No one was hurt in the incident.