DALLAS (KTVT/CNN) – A Texas woman went blind after catching a flesh-eating bacteria in her eye.
Brittany Williams pushed through the pain to finish her first mud run two weeks ago in Dallas.
“My eye started hurting, like maybe I’ve got mud or some debris in there,” she said.
By the next morning, she said she was blind in her left eye.
“When I opened my eye, it was just like white,” Williams said. “The whole room was white.”
Williams said the debris cut her eye, allowing flesh-eating bacteria in to destroy her cornea. “It just completely melted off of my eye,” she said.
A mother with two jobs, she spent a week in the hospital racking up a $100,000 bill. It’s a debt now entirely on her shoulders because she opted out of her employer’s health insurance program.
“I’ve had health insurance before, and you know, I never used it,” Williams said. “I never went to the doctor, and I just spent lots of money.”
Williams’ family is raising money online for treatment that keeps the bacteria from spreading further.
The experience, she says, has at times been like something out of a horror movie.
“You have to stay awake, and they like take scissors and cut. I know, it’s really gross.” Williams said.
She keeps a positive attitude: “I’m a religious person and I believe this happened for some reason.”
There’s a chance Williams will eventually regain her vision with surgery. Several doctors, however, have denied her treatment since she has no insurance.
Copyright 2015 KTVT, YouTube via CNN. All rights reserved.