Ten key news items to know for Wednesday, Aug. 5:
1. DEBRIS OF MISSING FLIGHT 370 MAY STILL BE AFLOAT
“I’m certain other bits floated. But whether they’ve washed up anywhere is another question,” says John Page, an aircraft design expert at the University of New South Wales in Australia.
2. HOW OBAMA INTENDS TO CAST IRAN VOTE
In a speech Wednesday at American University, the president will argue that the congressional decision on the nuclear deal is the nation’s most consequential foreign policy debate since the authorization of the Iraq war.
3. WHOSE CAMPAIGN PROMISE FAILS SCRUTINY
Donald Trump vows to bring back the millions of American jobs lost to China and other foreign competitors, but economists say he wouldn’t stand a chance in the face of global economic dynamics.
4. WHO’S SELECTED FOR FIRST GOP DEBATE
Trump, Bush and Walker will join seven other Republicans on the stage. Perry, Santorum and Fiorina are among those who didn’t make the cut.
5. CHINESE OFFICIALS CRACK DOWN ON CROSSES
The move triggers outrage even from semi-official Christian organizations formed to ensure Communist Party control.
6. BLAZE IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA REMAINS A THREAT
More than 13,000 people are required or urged to leave their homes, vacation cabins and campsites.
7. EGYPT TO UNVEIL SUEZ CANAL EXTENSION
The mega-project emerges as a cornerstone of President el-Sissi’s efforts to restore national pride and revive the economy, harking back to President Nasser’s post-colonial push in the 1950s.
8. HALF OF BLACKS SAY TREATED UNFAIRLY BY POLICE
A majority of African-Americans in the United States – more than 3 out of 5 – say their race is the reason why, an AP-NORC poll suggests.
9. STAND-ALONE GADGETS TRUMP ALL-IN-ONE DEVICES
There are times a stand-alone iPod works better than a jack-of-all-trades like a smartphone.
10. BOSTON MAYOR WANTS BAN ON CHEWING TOBACCO AT BALLPARKS
“Our baseball parks are places for creating healthy futures, and this ordinance is about doing the right thing as a community for our young people,” Martin J. Walsh says.