WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) – A convicted felon charged in the death and disappearance of a young Wilson mother is expected to make his first court appearance Friday.
Isabel Calvo “Chaveli” Palacios, 20, was reported missing to police on Aug. 4 after she was last seen at the home of convicted felon Gregory Parks on July 31, police said.
Palacios was the mother of a 3-year-old girl. At this time, police have not found her body.
“We are continuing our search for this young lady,” Wilson Police said.
Police have charged Parks with first-degree murder and one count of first-degree kidnapping.
Isabel’s family believes the kidnapping charge stems from Parks keeping her at his house against her will.
“We couldn’t understand why she’d be at that house, we still can’t understand,” said Gloria Cortez, Isabel’s Aunt. “We still don’t believe that she was there because she wanted to be there.”
Shortly after Isabel was reported missing, the Wilson Police Department obtained a search warrant for 4710 Ward Blvd. and forensic personnel searched the house for at least 18 hours. As of Wednesday, the home remained marked off with crime scene tape with police monitoring the home.
Court documents show Parks was released from prison 27 years early after the North Carolina Court of Appeals overturned his conviction in Wilson County.
In 2014, a jury convicted him on two counts of participating in prostitution of a minor but the appeals court later overturned that ruling, saying there was not enough evidence to convict him.
Parks has also been previously arrested on manslaughter and attempted first and second-degree rape.
The family says Parks’ arrest brings a little bit of relief, but they won’t have closure until Isabel is found.
“We love her very much and we will keep looking for her,” said Cortez. “We’re not going to rest until we find her.”
Parks is expected to be in court Friday at 9 a.m. Thursday. He is being held on no bond.
Convicted felon charged in murder of missing Wilson mom, police say