WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) – A Wilson man charged Wednesday in the death and disappearance of a young mom who vanished last month made his first appearance in court Friday morning.
Gregory Parks, 56, asked for a court-appointed attorney and told the judge that he was “broke.”
Isabel Calvo “Chaveli” Palacios, 20, was reported missing to police Aug 4. after she was last seen at the Wilson home of Parks, who is a convicted felon, on July 31, police said.
Palacios was the mother of a 3-year-old girl and is still missing, sources said.
“We are continuing our search for this young lady,” Wilson Police said in announcing Parks’ arrest.
Parks is charged with first-degree murder and one count of first-degree kidnapping.
Palacios’ body has not been found, but she is presumed dead, police said.
Earlier this month, Wilson Police Department Detectives obtained a search warrant for 4710 Ward Blvd. and forensic personnel searched the house for at least 18 hours.
Court documents show Parks was released from prison 27 years early after the North Carolina Court of Appeals overturned his conviction in Wilson County.
In 2014, a jury convicted him on two counts of participating in the prostitution of a minor but the appeals court later overturned that ruling, saying there was not enough evidence to convict him. He has been out since July 2014.
In the past, Parks has also been arrested on manslaughter and attempted first and second-degree rape charges.
Parks has a probable cause hearing scheduled for Sept. 1. Palacios’ family was in court but did not speak.
Parks is being held on no bond, police said.