Historic Raleigh home from 1795 now under contract

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN_ – One of the oldest houses in Raleigh is now under contract after being moved off its location on Wake Forest Road to make way for an apartment complex.

The Crabtree Jones home, named for one of the early owners, was built around 1795. It remained surrounded by a thick grove of trees for two centuries, hidden from view near the busy intersection of Wake Forest Road and Six Forks.

Realtor Paul Setliff told WNCN earlier this month that the home is scheduled to close Oct. 26 and will be a single-family home. He said he could not reveal the contract price.

On Feb. 3, 2014, the home was moved to nearby Hillmer Street to make way for the Jones Grant apartment complex.

For more than a year, the house remained unsold. The price dropped from the original asking price of $350,000 to $299,000.

The Crabtree Jones house in Raleigh is now under contract. (WNCN).
PHOTOS: Raleigh’s Crabtree Jones home moved to new location.

The apartment complex is nearing completion and the apartments can easily be seen from the Crabtree Jones house.

Preservation North Carolina now owns the 3,448-square foot house. But it will require extensive work for the next hour.

Preservation North Carolina has added a new foundation and crepe myrtles to enhance the house.

The Jones family sold the land and home in 1973.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s