RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Dr. Aldona Wos did not resign as secretary of the department due to a federal investigation, current head of DHHS told WNCN.
North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Rick Brajer spoke with WNCN Monday.
WNCN reported Friday a federal grand jury is investigating contracts that the DHHS awarded. WNCN also obtained the documents, which say the grand jury is looking into “a criminal investigation.”
The subpoenas were served July 28.
Wos, who had an embattled tenure as DHHS secretary but who also enjoyed the support of Gov. Pat McCrory, resigned as head of the agency Aug. 5, saying she wanted to spend more time with her family.
When asked if the subpoenas had anything to do with Wos leaving, Brajer said, “Not at all.”
“In fact, I think she had already covered her intention to resign with the governor well before the governor was even aware of the subpoenas,” he said Monday.
Brajer said he accepted the top position in the department before the subpoenas were shared with the state.
“I believe strongly in the mission of the department of health and human services,” he said. “That’s what motivated me and continues to motivate me.”
Brajer said he does not have an evaluation of subpoenas as the documents contain matters that occurred before his arrival.
“We’re cooperating with the federal government. We’re respecting the process, at this point that’s all I know,” he said.