NC reports 1st flu death of the 2015-16 season

File

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – An adult in western North Carolina is the first flu death of the 2015-2016 flu season, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services announced Thursday.

“We extend our deepest sympathies to the family,” said Acting State Health Director Dr. Megan Davies. “We hope that by making people aware of this unfortunate case we will remind everyone that flu can be a serious disease and encourage people to protect themselves and their loved ones by getting vaccinated.”

The name of the person and where they lived has not been released.

The CDC recommends yearly vaccination against the flu for everyone 6 months and older.

“It’s not too early to get the flu vaccine. Getting your shot now will protect you through the entire season, so it’s important not to wait.” said Dr. Davies.

During last year’s flu season, 218 people died from the flu, including two children. The majority of the deaths last year were people 65 and older.

Precautions to help protect against the spread of flu and other viruses:
• Staying home when you are sick until you have been fever free for at least 24 hours;
• Washing your hands frequently, preferably with soap and water; and
• Covering your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then discarding the tissue promptly.

For more information on the flu and where to get vaccinated in Wake County, click here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s