CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – Paperwork has been filed to expunge the record of Randall Kerrick, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer accused of shooting and killing unarmed Jonathan Ferrell in September 2013. Defense Attorney George Laughrun confirmed the filing of the paperwork Thursday morning.
Kerrick was charged with voluntary manslaughter in the case. Expunging Kerrick’s record would mean completely removing charges.
Two years ago, Kerrick and other responding officers identified Ferrell as a possible burglary suspect after a woman called 911 overnight to report a stranger was banging on her door and trying to kick it in.
State prosecutors say Ferrell had been injured after wrecking his car and was seeking help at the woman’s house when he was mistaken for a burglar. They argue Ferrell ran in Kerrick’s direction after fearing for his life when another officer deployed his taser, with red laser beams pointing at Ferrell’s chest.
The case against Kerrick was declared a mistrial on August 21.
North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said that a team of 6 prosecutors made the decision to not retry the case, because they believe a “retrial will not yield a different result.”
The jury, who deliberated for four days, became a hung jury with a vote of 8-4 in the case. The jury was leaning more heavily towards a “not guilty” verdict.
In a letter to Mecklenburg County District Attorney Andrew Murray, the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office said it planned to dismiss the charges against Kerrick after the mistrial was declared.
Laughrun says the paperwork to expunge Kerrick’s record will take eight to ten weeks for the process to be completed.