CARY, N.C. (WNCN) – After 12 straight days of measurable rain in the Triangle area, some residents are now dealing with mold problems.
Ivery Bang, who lives in an apartment at Arbors at Cary, had a leak in the window sill of his son’s room and when all the rain came in, it caused water damage and mold. Bang is now concerned about his family’s health because he, his wife and their 8-year-old son have asthma. He also has a 4-month-old daughter living in the apartment.
“It started off as just small mold, but now since that rain happened the whole ceiling has mold and water damage,” said Bang. “My son can’t sleep in his room anymore due to the fact that there’s mold in there.”
Doctors say mold can cause respiratory and skin issues, especially for people with mold allergies or weakened immune systems. The recent humidity and standing water creates the perfect environment for mold to grow, according to the EPA.
Bang claims he alerted the property managers about the leak several months ago but nothing was done. He says no work has been done since he’s reported the mold either.
A call to the apartment complex was referred to the property manager. A message left with the property manager was not returned by WNCN’s deadline on Wednesday.
To avoid mold growth after water damage, it’s recommended you remove any standing water as quickly as possible, dry out your home and throw out any materials that are wet and cannot be cleaned and dried within 24-48 hours.