GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – A family of three is safe after their home caught fire early Monday morning, but they’re devastated their two cats didn’t make it.
The fire happened shortly after 7 a.m. in the 2100 block of Old River Road.
The family was at a relative’s home next door at the time of the fire.
Preliminary investigations point to the fire starting in the kitchen.
Staton House Fire Lieutenant Noah Smith described what he saw when he first arrived on the scene.
“When I first arrived on scene, we were pulling lines from the truck,” explained Noah Smith, Staton House Fire Lieutenant. “I took command and had my guys go on an interior attack. When I got here, it was pretty heavy smoke pouring out of the eaves of the roof.”
The home is likely a total loss. The Red Cross is now helping the family.