RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – After learning that the Federal Emergency Management Agency has denied Governor Pat McCrory’s aid request to help eight coastal counties recover from last month’s flooding, the governor has announced he will appeal the decision, the governor’s office said Tuesday.
“We will appeal this denial and I implore Administrator (Craig) Fugate and his staff to re-examine the damage estimates that were submitted,” said McCrory. “Based on FEMA guidelines, we believe the damage estimates submitted are indeed eligible for federal financial assistance.”
On Oct. 28 McCrory requested a federal disaster declaration for eight counties to help them recover some of their costs for storm response and damages. Those counties are Brunswick, Carteret, Dare, Hyde, New Hanover, Onslow, Pamlico and Pender. Local, state and federal survey teams estimated that damages to beaches, roads and infrastructure along with debris removal and emergency protective measures would total approximately $31 million, the state said. The required federal threshold for North Carolina is $13.4 million.
In the denial letter, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate stated that the damages incurred were not “beyond the capabilities of the state and affected local governments” and thus did not warrant federal assistance.
The governor declared a state of emergency Oct. 1 for all 100 counties in anticipation of Hurricane Joaquin and activated the State Emergency Operations Center to coordinate storm response and recovery efforts.