NC mom dies in house fire, 2 daughters escape, officials say

A Google maps image of the stretch of Walnut Street where the fire happened.

WILSON, NC (WNCN) — A Wilson mom died in a house fire on early Saturday morning after her daughters managed to make it out of their burning home, Wilson Fire officials say.

The incident happened around 2 a.m. on Walnut Street when a woman in her 70s was in the house with her 2 daughters, officials said.

Fire officials said the woman, who has not been identified, tried to refuel a kerosene heater while it was still lit, which sparked a fire in the home.

One daughter managed to make it out and then went to wake up her sister to help her out of the home.

The two daughters tried to get their mom to leave the house, but she stayed behind to try to put out the fire, officials said.

The home was a total loss. The Red Cross is helping with housing for the two survivors.

For now, fire officials have said the cause of the fire was “improper use of heating equipment.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s