RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Hoverboards were a popular gift this holiday season – and in some cases, a painful one.
A WakeMed spokeswoman said Tuesday that the hospital has treated approximately nine patients with hoverboard related injuries since Dec. 25. Before Christmas, WakeMed had treated only three hoverboard-related injuries in roughly the month before Christmas.
Hoverboards are wildly popular but some people have trouble getting the hang of it. The Consumer Products Safety Commission has issued the following safety tips:
- Do not charge hoverboards overnight because of the lithium-ion batteries
- Wear a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads when using one.
- Report any incidents, whether it’s a fire or fall, to saferproducts.gov.