UNITED KINGDOM (WCMH)–The student thought she was just ill from the stress of exams, but was actually suffering from toxic shock syndrome.
According to the KentOnline, 20-year-old Emily Pankhurst, from Maidstone, United Kingdom, was in intensive care for three days, where doctors told her had she kept the tampon in for one more night, she would have died.
Now she is telling her story to warn other women of the dangers of leaving in a tampon in too long.
About a month ago, Pankhurst began feeling ill after, but thought it was just school related stress.
When her illness got worse, here mom suggested she check herself in case she had forgotten a tampon inside her.
“But just half-an-hour later my speech slurred and my skin became mottled. I started to feel faint and I was rushed to hospital by ambulance,” she told the Mirror.
At the hospital doctors told her she almost died from toxic shock syndrome.
“I was very lucky my mum saw my symptoms as abnormal as the doctors said if I had gone to bed that night I wouldn’t have woken up the next day. The sepsis would have spread all across my body and shut down my vital organs,” she told the KentOnline.
It was determined she had left the tampon in for nine days, and now faces the road to recovery.
“Crutches were given to me to help strengthen my legs and get walking again. It is extremely emotional, tiring and frustrating because your mind wants to get up and do something but your body tells you to sleep. The most basic of tasks is very confusing and stressful,” she said.