DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Since March 1, there have been seven shootings in the city of Durham and in the last week alone, three of the victims have been children.
On March 8, 15-year-old David Pounds was killed in a drive-by.
This past weekend, two more teens were shot in separate incidents.
A 14-year-old was hit in the shoulder Saturday morning. He suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was released from the hospital later the same day.
A 16-year-old boy was shot in in the leg Sunday evening. His injuries were also not life-threatening.
Sharrocka, a mother of six, lives in the area. She says the violence, linked by some to gangs, keeps her locked inside her home.
She told CBS North Carolina, “I don’t come outside with my children. My children don’t play out in the neighborhood.”
She added, “Most people are living like prisoners in their own home.”
Durham Mayor Bill Bell did not immediately respond to CBS North Carolina’s request for comment on the recent rash of shootings.
A spokesperson for the police department said a “gang war is hard to quantify.”
“A major issue is too many illegal guns and people choosing to handle differences with violence,” the spokesperson said.
“A lot of people know what’s going on and they are afraid to speak up,” Sharrocka said. “It’s really ridiculous.”
Last week, three Durham city council members called the violence a failure of to entire city.