CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – Students at a school in Charlotte are being sent home after school officials say a fire was started in the bathroom.
Walter G Byers school was evacuated Friday morning and fire investigators were called to the scene.
Police said a fire was intentionally set in a bathroom and suspects have been detained.
A note was sent to parents at the school by Charlotte-Mecklenburg School officials.
“This morning there was a fire in a bathroom at the school. All students and staff are safe and have been evacuated from the school building. No students will return to the school building today,” officials said in the note. “We are instituting a dismissal process. Your child’s teacher will call you to discuss dismissal options for your child.”
School officials are asking parents to pick up children after a fire was started in a bathroom. Elementary school students are being picked up at the front of the school, middle school students can be picked up at the community center behind the school.
“The safety of our students is our top priority and no child will be sent home on a bus until the parent or caregiver has been contacted,” school officials said.
Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved.