RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Attorneys representing Akiel Denkins family said they found new evidence. A possible bullet hole near where the 24 year old was shot and killed by police.
Authorities responded and Saturday we learned the results. In a statement, Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman wrote, “After examination, investigators concluded the evidence tended to show the hole was not related to this incident.”
“We were grateful that they responded so quickly. And it appeared to me that they looked very carefully at that hole from the outside and they went inside, which is something we had not had the opportunity to do,” Scott Holmes, one of the attorneys representing Denkins’ family said.
Holmes is one the attorneys working on an independent investigation of Denkins death. SBI and Raleigh police are also conducting investigations. But the family and community activists have been critical of their findings so far.
“There’s some really significant contradictions between what witnesses have said, the physical evidence at the scene and the trajectory at the scene on the back porch and the wounds to the body,” Holmes said.
Holmes said their independent autopsy shows Denkins was shot in the back. According to the initial police report, he was shot four times – in the chest, shoulder and both arms. But Freeman has declined to say whether the shots were to Denkins front or back body.
CBS North Carolina asked Holmes why they haven’t released the independent autopsy.
“Well, it would be important to have the medical examiners report to look at and compare with the forensic analysis we did,” Holmes said.