2 NC women burned after cooking food catches house on fire, officials say

File photo from Fayetteville Fire Dept.

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Two women were hurt in a fire that started from food cooking in the kitchen of a home on Sunday, Fayetteville officials say.

The incident was reported at 4:14 p.m. at 501 Fenmark Place, off Chesterbrook Drive in the Monclair Neighborhood, said Fayetteville Asst. Fire Chief R. Bradshaw.

First arriving units discovered a single story, single family brick dwelling with heavy smoke visible from the entire structure, Bradshaw said.

Firefighters saw two people on the ground in the front yard, both suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

“Firefighters along with EMS crews begin immediate treatment for both patients, while other firefighting crews controlled the fire,” Bradshaw said in a press release.

The fire was contained to the kitchen area of the home with heat and smoke throughout the entire home.

“The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental from unattended cooking,” Bradshaw said.

A 69-year-old woman along with a 21-year-old woman were treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns and both were transported to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center.

No damage estimate has been made available.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s