RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – There’s almost nothing left to Pinnacle Apartments in Raleigh after investigators say a fire started with a cigarette butt that was discarded outside.
As the flames poured through the apartment building located on Edwards Mill Road, frantic 911 calls came in Saturday afternoon.
“Four of them are on fire right now but it’s spreading really fast,” said one caller. “It’s huge. There are old people who are trying to walk away but they’re not going fast enough.”
In the end, all of the people who lived in the apartments did make it out, but CBS North Carolina has been told that three people were hurt, five dogs died, two cats died and 12 families lost everything. The Red Cross spent the weekend helping the families with places to stay, but there is nothing left of their homes.
“They need basic needs – changes of clothes, toiletry items, financial assistance to buy groceries, things of that type,” said Barry Porter of the American Red Cross.
“My heart just kind of sunk into my stomach because I can’t put myself into those people’s shoes to lose everything I ever had,” Kristin Mohagheghi said. “Where do you go from there?”
Mohagheghi, who said she used to live at the complex, heard about the fire and came by to try to donate items or time to help those who live there.
“I just felt connected to this and wanted to help out in any way,” she said.
There’s no word on charges. Police will work with fire investigators. Smoking is allowed here but changes may be put in place.
This wasn’t the only apartment fire this weekend that left multiple families without a place to stay The Red Cross is also helping out eight other families after this fire at an apartment complex at Coolridge Court.