ZEBULON, N.C. (WNCN) – Zebulon crews spent most of Wednesday trying fix a major gas leak that shut down roads and caused an evacuation.
“We’ve basically been inside the house today with the doors closed,” Tara Braswell told CBS North Carolina.
Braswell had other plans Wednesday but she, her 5-year-old daughter, 3-year-old nephew, and 99-year-old grandmother were forced to stay inside.
“It was very scary,” Braswell said. “With the smell and the fire department, because at first we didn’t know what was going on.”
Around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, NCDOT crews were working on a drainage issue on Worth Hinton Road when they ruptured an 8-inch natural gas line.
Crews were finally able to shut off the gas around 1:30 p.m..
“Nearly five hours of gas leaking from an 8-inch line – that’s an enormous amount gas that has leaked out. It would’ve certainly served many, many homes had it remained in the lines,” Zebulon Fire Chief Chris Perry.
Though firefighters were on scene to monitor the gas levels, Glaxo Smith Kline took extra precautions.
“Some of the gas odor traveled onto the Glaxo Smith Kline property and the elected to do some evacuation on their property, just as a safety precaution,” Perry said.
Fortunately, no one lost gas to their homes or businesses, and Braswell and her family were able to come outside and enjoy the day.
Even after the gas was shut off, Worth Hinton Road remained closed while crews fixed the line.