Incense candles cause Durham fire

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – The  Durham Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 123 Barnhill Street Sunday morning.

Firefighters reported a one-story residential structure with moderate smoke showing. A fire in the basement was quickly extinguished.  The fire caused moderate damage to the basement and minor damage to the first floor and attic. Smoke damage occurred throughout the house.

There were no injuries, but two adults were displaced by the fire.  The cause was determined to be incense candles that were left burning unattended in a combustible container.

Durham firefighters reminded residents that candles of any type should never be placed in, on, or within tip-over distance of combustible materials of any kind.  Combustible materials include things like wood, paper, plastic, and cloth.

Twenty-two firefighters responded to the call, and crews were on scene for one and a half hours.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s