FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Just as a sixth person has come forward with sex abuse allegations against Coach Rodney Scott, one mother says she spoke out years ago about him.
Scott currently faces almost 70 sex offense charges.
But one mother says she spoke out in the past and never got justice.
“They never said anything bad about Rodney Scott, it was the thing that I noticed with my children,” said Brenda, whose last name is not being used by CBS North Carolina.
Brenda said like many young men, her sons enjoyed sports. Two of her sons were eventually coached by Rodney Scott during high school.
Brenda says like other players, her sons would sleep over at the home of Scott, who was also an AAU basketball coach.
More coverage: Click to view all previous coverage of the Rodney Scott case
“One day my youngest son came home and he told me that something happened but he’ll never go back to Mr. Scott’s house again,” Brenda said.
Still to this day, she doesn’t know what disturbed her youngest son. But soon after that incident, Brenda says her middle son started randomly misbehaving.
“Then all of a sudden he was saying he wanted to be emancipated from the house,” Brenda said.
Her son soon ran away. He also took his birth certificate and military identification.
She eventually learned that her son was staying at Scott’s home.
Court documents say Scott was later charged with contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile.
But the case was later dismissed after the mom and son missed several hearing dates.
Wednesday in court, the judge presented Scott with updated sex offense charges.
The latest accuser is 15 years old. Court documents say Scott engaged in sexual acts with the teen earlier this year.
Brenda says her sons were not violated by Scott but the “red flags” early on remind her of her own troubled past.
“Right now I go to a therapist, I have PTSD because I was molested and raped when I was a child. That’s why I have these red flags when it comes down to my children,” Brenda said.