WASHINGTON (WNCN) — Sen. Richard Burr said in an interview with the Huffington Post that North Carolina Republican lawmakers “botched what they were trying to do” in regards to House Bill 2.
In the interview, which occurred Tuesday, Burr told the Post he has “issues” with HB2 and said lawmakers need to make changes before a judge does it for them.
“The legislature botched what they were trying to do,” he said. “It was far too expansive.”
Burr said in the interview HB2 will change but it is now just a question of which branch of government will do it.
“It will be decided one of two ways: through the courts, where everybody’s chosen to place it now, or the General Assembly and the Charlotte City Council getting together and solving what was blundered on both sides,” Burr told the Huffington Post.
Burr is running for reelection against Deborah Ross in November’s election.
On May 9, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch annouced the Justice Department will sue North Carolina over HB2.
The lawsuit says the law violates Title VII and Title IX of the Civil Rights Law by denying transgender people access to bathrooms consistent with their gender identity.
Lynch, who is from Durham, said HB2 “placed North Carolina in direct opposition to federal law.”
Also on May 9, Gov. Pat McCrory’s administration sued the federal government in a fight for a state law that requires transgender people to use the public restroom matching the sex on their birth certificate.
The lawsuit seeks to keep in place the law, which the U.S. Justice Department said last week violated the civil rights of transgender people against sex discrimination on the job and in education.