RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – The annual Click It or Ticket campaign, which ran from May 23 to June 5 across North Carolina, resulted in more than 8,400 seat belt citations, as well as over 870 child passenger safety citations, the Governor’s Highway Safety Program and N.C. Department of Transportation said in a release.
The official totals were 8,483 seat belt violations and 873 child passenger safety citations that were issued to drivers and passengers.
“The safety of everyone who travels our roadways is a top priority of Gov. McCrory’s agenda,” said N.C. DOT Secretary Nick Tennyson. “The Click It or Ticket campaign reminds us that while we continue to make significant progress, we still have work to do to encourage passengers to buckle up in every seat, every time.”
Over the two-week campaign, officials across the state held 6,343 checkpoints and also stepped-up patrols, the release said. The campaign led to 77,622 traffic and criminal violations issued.
The top five counties for seat belt violations were:
- Robeson – 446
- Wake – 368
- Wayne – 366
- Guilford – 361
- Mecklenburg – 338
As of June 3, there have been 173 un-belted fatalities in North Carolina this year. That is a 13.1 percent increase in the number from the same time period last year. Forty-two percent of all fatalities in 2015 were the result of not using a seat belt, the release said.