Death penalty sought in NC killings of 2 young women and man

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WSPA/WNCN) – The Buncombe County district attorney says he is seeking the death penalty against a man in the deaths of two young women and a man in late 2015.

riverfound
CLICK TO VIEW PHOTOS OF THE WOMEN VICTIMS, SEARCH EFFORTS AND THE SUSPECT

The prosecution against Pierre Lamont Griffin was declared a capital case on Monday, officials said.

Griffin, 23, is accused of murdering of Alexander King, Tatianna Diz and Uhon Johnson in Buncombe County.

He is also charged with attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon in Henderson County.

Prosecutors say Pierre Lamont Griffin’s new charges come from events that began in Buncombe County and ended with an attempted armed robbery and law enforcement then shooting Griffin in Henderson County, North Carolina on Oct. 27, 2015.

Tatiana Diz, 20, and Alexandra King, 22, were both found dead in the French Broad River in early Nov. 2015 after disappearing days earlier

The women had been missing since the night of Oct. 27, 2015, when they left their home and gave a man a ride to apartments nearby.

A shooting happened in or around a Volkswagen Jetta owned by Alexandra King, Asheville Police said.

The man who was given a ride by the women is charged with fatally shooting a man that same night — the third victim, Uhon Johnson.

The abandoned VW Jetta was found bloodied and with a gunshot hole in the passenger headrest.

Officials say North Carolina law provides that when acts that constitute part of the commission of a crime occur in more than one county, each county has concurrent venue, and jurisdiction, of the charges.

“In that the most serious events in this tragic sequence occurred in Buncombe County where the family, friends, and loved ones of the victims reside, I want to thank DA Newman for deferring to us here in Buncombe County so that we may seek justice for the victims and their families locally without putting them through two separate trials in two separate counties,” Buncombe County District Attorney Todd Williams said.

A Buncombe County Grand Jury had already indicted Griffin on three counts of first-degree murder, two counts of destroying a body or remains concealing an unnatural death, two counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon, misdemeanor flee to elude arrest, and reckless driving to endanger for crimes alleged to have occurred within Buncombe County.

Police say he killed Uhon Johnson in Buncombe County, stole a car, and led deputies on a chase.

— WNCN contributed to this report

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s