Scorpion stings Raleigh Harris Teeter employee


RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A Harris Teeter employee at the Cameron Village location was stung by a scorpion Wednesday and officials with the company say they are investigating the situation.

Experts say this is not the first time something like this has happened.

“It does happen and it’s been happening perhaps with some regularity for the last 25 years,” said Dr. Clyde Sorenson.

Sorenson is a professor of entomology at North Carolina State University.

He says one species of scorpion is actually native to the western part of North Carolina, but for the rest of the state, they are not common.

“When a scorpion shows up in this part of the world it’s kind of an accident,” he said.

Other than the native scorpion to the state, Sorenson says two other non-native species have been found historically in North Carolina.

Those two types of species come from Florida and Texas.

Sorenson says they are usually shipped into the state through produce. He says luckily neither’s stings are known to be dangerous.

“Not that, in general, that serious of a medical situation. It hurts but it will go away, and in most cases the person is not going to suffer any lasting consequences,” said Sorenson.

Harris Teeter officials released this statement in regards to the incident:

We are thankful our store management team acted quickly to seek medical attention for our valued associate. We are staying in close contact with our associate as well as conducting a thorough investigation to prevent this from happening again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s