SC girl dies after contracting rare ‘brain-eating’ amoeba

Hannah Collins in a photo from WCBD

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) — The 11-year-old girl from South Carolina who contracted a deadly brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a river has died.

Hannah Collins died Friday at 10:20 p.m., according to a family statement provided to The Beaufort Gazette.

South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control confirmed Tuesday that someone had been exposed to Naegleria fowleri.

The exposure is thought to have occurred on July 24 while Hannah was swimming near Martin’s Landing on the Edisto River in Charleston County, officials said in a statement.

The family asked for continued prayers Thursday after being told Hanna, of Beaufort, had irreparable brain damage.

The organism, which is very rare, is found only in fresh water and only contracted when jumping feet-first into the water and can be fatal if forced up the nose.

“You should avoid swimming or jumping into bodies of fresh water when the water is warm and the water levels are low. Also, you should either hold your nose or use a nose plug. You cannot be infected by merely drinking water containing the ameba,” Dr. Linda Bell, state epidemiologist said.

SCDHEC says there have been fewer than 40 cases reported nationwide in the past ten years.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s