Fire sparked by natural gas leak in Fayetteville home; 1 in critical condition


FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – A natural gas leak sparked a fire that damaged a Fayetteville house Monday morning and injured a man, fire officials said.

VIEW 10 PICTURES OF THE FIRE
VIEW 10 PICTURES OF THE FIRE

Crews responded to a home located at 253 Shawcroft Road in the Kings Grant Community off Ramsey Street just before 9:20 a.m. Monday after receiving multiple reports of loud explosions prior to the fire.

The first arriving crews reported heavy smoke showing from the entire home and they found a burned resident of the home outside the house.

Neighbors told CBS North Carolina that they heard an explosion before the fire erupted.   Officials also said that 911 communications received multiple reports of a loud explosion before the fire.

Fire officials on scene said a man who lives in the home was injured.

He was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and later transferred to the Jaycees Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill where he is  listed in critical condition.

Firefighters said the house is a complete loss and that the hot weather made it much harder to extinguish the fire.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to a leak from a natural gas line within the laundry room, officials said.

Credit: Chris Leon via YouTube

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s