USOC apologizes for ‘distracting’ Lochte debacle

American Olympic swimmers Gunnar Bentz, left, and Jack Conger leave a police station in the Leblon neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016. The two were taken off their flight from Brazil to the U.S. on Wednesday by local authorities amid an investigation into a reported robbery targeting Ryan Lochte and his teammates. A Brazilian police officer told The Associated Press that Lochte fabricated a story about being robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)


RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) – The United States Olympic Committee is apologizing for the “distracting ordeal” involving four Olympic swimmers.

Brazilian police have said Ryan Lochte and three of his teammates were not robbed, and instead vandalized a gas station bathroom. Lochte had said earlier this week they were held up at gunpoint after a night of partying.

U.S. officials said late Thursday that the behavior of the four is “not acceptable, nor does it represent the values of Team USA.”

It says it will review the matter, and possible punishments, when the games are over and the delegation returns home.

Olympic officials also say that the last swimmer left in the country, James Feigen, provided a revised statement to officials and hopes to get his passport back to return home soon.

Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger left on a flight out of the country earlier this evening after testifying for authorities.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s