Raleigh teen drowns after entering electrified pool water


RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A teen girl found dead in a North Raleigh pool Saturday afternoon drowned after entering the electrified water, an autopsy said.

CLICK FOR MORE PICTURES OF THE VICTIM & THE SCENE
CLICK FOR MORE PICTURES OF THE VICTIM & THE SCENE

Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison told CBS North Carolina crews responded just after 2:30 p.m. to an area near 2226 Valley Forge Road for reports of an electrocution and/or possible drowning.

UPDATE: Funeral planned for Raleigh teen found dead in swimming pool

Authorities said Rachel Rosoff, 17, was found dead in the pool and pulled from the water.

“Just got here for my shift, the girl that was here this morning is in the pool. I can’t get in to get her. The pool water seems to be electrified,” a caller told 911 dispatch. “She’s floating face down in the middle of the pool and I can’t get her.”

In that same recording, the caller said they attempted to jump in the pool after Rosoff. But the caller said they felt “a shock run through me.”

Monday afternoon, Wake County officials released preliminary autopsy reports that confirmed Rosoff died after entering electrified water.

“The preliminary autopsy results are consistent with the decedent entering the pool that had an electrical charge that may have rendered the decedent unconscious apparently leading to drowning,” Wake County officials said in a release.

CBS North Carolina has found that there have been 14 pool electrocution deaths in the United States since 2003.

RELATED: Teen girl found dead in neighborhood pool in Wake County, officials say

Rosoff was a member of a Triangle-area nonprofit called The Food Ark, according to the organization. The Food Ark is a student-lead-and-run certified nonprofit organization who aims to fight food insecurity.

Shiaoching Tse, president of The Food Ark, said Rosoff was a lifeguard at the pool near Heritage Point.

According to Rosoff’s Facebook page, she was an employee of the Aquatic Management Group based in Raleigh. A representative there also confirmed that Rosoff died on Saturday.

AMG released a statement to CBS North Carolina:

We are shaken by the loss of such a vibrant young life. Our deepest sympathy is extended to the family in this time of unfathomable grief. We are cooperating with  investigators in every possible way and are hopeful that the investigation may provide an explanation for this tragedy.”

Neighbors said the pool opens up before noon on Saturdays and usually has a lifeguard.

According to the events calendar on the community’s website, Sept. 5 is the last day the pool is open for the rest of the year.

But the pool still had crime scene tape blocking it off Monday.

The property management firm – Professional Properties Management of Raleigh, Inc. – released a statement Tuesday.

We are devastated to hear about this tragedy and our deepest sympathy is extended to the family. We are working to the fullest extent possible with investigators. At this time we are unable to comment further since this is an active investigation.”

9 thoughts on “Raleigh teen drowns after entering electrified pool water

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s