CARY, N.C. (WNCN) – Fire ripped through an apartment complex in Cary early Wednesday morning.
The incident happened just before midnight at Hyde Park Apartments.
Twelve units were burned through according to fire officials. The other dozen units were damaged.
More than twenty people were displaced, officials say.
The Cary Fire Department said all of the people who were in that building were able to escape.
Residents were looking for temporary housing and waited until firefighters say it’s safe to return to the complex. A Town of Cary spokeswoman said firefighters condemned eight units on Wednesday afternoon. Twelve were deemed safe to return to and four were given the option to return to or not.
The Red Cross is offering assistance.
No injuries were reported, but residents say not all pets are accounted for.
On scene, people who live there claim it was started by a candle, but no official confirmation has been made.
A resident told CBS North Carolina that a dog and a cat died.
Authorities are trying to figure out what started the fire.