Wake commissions vote to deny landfill’s expansion


RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Wake County commissioners voted Monday to deny a request to expand a privately-owned landfill.

The Wake County Board of Commissioners voted unanimously to deny Shotwell Landfill’s request to quadruple its daily intake.

The landfill, located between Clayton and Wendell, is permitted to receive 250 tons of construction debris a day from Wake and Johnston Counties.

Landfill officials wanted to add seven additional counties, including Chatham, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Harnett, Lee and Orange.

People who live hear the landfill had expressed concern about what the expansion would mean for groundwater, traffic, and the smell.

“There had been some indication that there had been some run-off that has come from this landfill. There’s definitely contaminated water and the vast majority of the people in the community are still using well water,” said Donald Mial, a homeowner in the area.

“I am thrilled that they listened to the concerns we had about the surface water and the landfill capacity in the county,” said homeowner Betty Williamson.

Board vice chair Sig Hutchinson said the increase would be good for business but not for those living in the area.

“From my perspective, it’s bad news for the beauty, scenic area of the county, where thousands of people have made a life, home and ultimately a community,” Hutchinson said.

Shotwell did not have a representative at Monday’s meeting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s