RAEFORD, N.C. (WNCN) – A gas leak forced officials to dismiss students from Hoke County High School in Raeford Tuesday morning, officials said.
Hoke County Schools said around 4 p.m. that the leak was fixed and that school will open Wednesday morning. Students told CBS North Carolina that they could smell the gas as they were leaving school.
The leak was caused by construction when the equipment hit a natural gas line.
Several students told CBS North Carolina they were thrilled to be out of school early.
Many students said they were happy that the teachers and staff acted quickly and got them out the school, but in the haste to evacuate, some students left their books and other items inside the school.