Man shot, killed after pulling pistol on Nashville police, officials say


NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A fugitive wanted in Robertson County for nearly a week was shot and killed by Metro police Tuesday afternoon after authorities say he pulled a pistol on officers in Nashville.

Click for more photos

Sandy Duke died shortly after being taken to TriStar Skyline Medical Center after the 2 p.m. shooting near Dickerson Pike and Donald Street.

According to Metro police spokesman Don Aaron, it all began when they say Duke was involved in a home invasion on Hancock Road. He is accused of tying up the homeowner and stealing a pistol, shotgun, cellphone, money, food, and a Chevrolet Equinox SUV.

A press release states the Robertson County Sherriff’s Office responded to the home invasion and deputies learned that a cellphone was among the stolen items.

Authorities were able to track it to the area of Dickerson Pike and Donald Street, which is when Metro police was notified and responded to the scene.

Officers found Duke outside the stolen SUV near a Mexican restaurant when they say he ran away toward the back of the restaurant.

Metro police said in a release that Duke refused commands to stop and surrender before he turned out with a .22 caliber Derringer pistol in hand.

Officer Weseley McClelland fired a total of four rounds “in defense of himself and other officers,” according to police.

Duke was hit an unknown number of times. Officers provided medical aid until the 43-year-old as taken to Skyline where he later died.

Officer McClelland, a four-year veteran of the Metro Nashville Police Department, has been placed on administrative leave as the investigation continues.

Duke was wanted in Robertson County for violating the conditions of his bond in a domestic violence case.

Metro police say he was released from the state prison system in September 2014 after serving a number of years for convictions of aggravated kidnapping, four counts of aggravated burglary, robbery, and felony theft. He was also in and out of the prison system between 1991 and 2014.

Family of home invasion victim speaks to News 2

Jennifer Ryan is the victim’s granddaughter. She told News 2 her grandfather came home after a doctor’s appointment and found a man inside.

“My pa just walked in, rounded the corner to go into the kitchen, and there he stood with a gun,” said Ryan.

Metro police say that man was 43-year-old Sandy Duke. Her grandfather had never seen him before.

Ryan believes Duke kicked in her grandfather’s door to enter the home. She says Duke stole food and even changed into her grandfather’s clothes.

“He has been on the run for awhile,” said Ryan. “I’m sure he needed clean clothes.”

She says, Duke tried to start one of her grandfather’s cars but couldn’t. So he got a chair and duct tape then took two of her grandfather’s guns and waited for someone to return home.

That someone was her grandpa.

Duke duct-taped her grandfather to a chair and demanded the keys to his Chevy Equinox, according to police. He then took off.

“We just really thank the Lord that my grandfather’s okay,” said Ryan. “That it’s going to be okay.”

Still, Ryan says she and her family have a lingering sadness for the man who tied up and robbed her 68-year-old grandfather.

“Someone’s still going to get a phone call,” she said. “It’s still a life and a person.”

Ryan wanted to thanks the Metro police officers and the Robertson County sheriff’s deputies who responded Tuesday.

She says her grandfather is doing okay but is still in shock.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s