HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A judge could decide Friday whether certain evidence will be heard in the case against a former UNC student charged in a crash that killed three people.
Attorneys for Chandler Kania filed two motions asking for evidence to be excluded from the trial, which starts next month.
RELATED: More Chandler Kania coverage
Kania is accused of driving drunk the wrong way on Interstate 85 in Hillsborough and crashing and killing Felecia Harris, 49, of Charlotte, Darlene McGee, 46, of Charlotte, and 6-year-old Jahnice Beard of Brooklyn, New York.
The three victims were headed to Charlotte after traveling to Virginia for a family reunion.
Officials said their Suzuki sedan was hit head-on by a Jeep Wrangler driven by Kania.
Kania was underage at the time of the crash in 2015.
A Chapel Hill bar, He’s Not Here, had its liquor license suspended by the ABC Commission on Jan. 13 because officials said it was linked to the deadly accident.
The bar agreed to pay a $5,000 fine to avoid a 30-day suspension and was penalized with a $10,000 fine for past violations.
Another bar, La Residence, was also found negligent for serving Kania before the fatal accident last year, according to the commission.
Investigators say Kania and his friends drank alcohol at the bars. After leaving the establishments, Kania is accused of driving drunk and causing the triple-fatal wrong way crash.
Officials said Kania and friends were allowed in the bars despite being underage.
Kania’s attorney’s asked that evidence taken from the seized cellphone be excluded.
They also claim Kania did not consent to blood tests, so they want those blood test results excluded as well.
Earlier this month a judge denied a motion to suppress phone records.
Friday’s hearing is scheduled for 11 a.m.