Charlotte police release more video from deadly shooting that sparked protests

WBTV image from newly released video of body cameras of Charlotte police.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) — The family of Keith Lamont Scott has seen previously unreleased portions of the police video that show his shooting and death and they are now being released to the public. The video shows the deadly encounter between Scott and Charlotte-Mecklenburg police.

Scott, 43, was shot and killed in northeast Charlotte on September 20 at The Village at College Downs apartment complex on Old Concord Road.

Related info: Full coverage of the Keith Lamont Scott shooting

CMPD says plainclothes officers were in the area to serve a warrant on another person when they encountered Scott. That encounter ended in Scott being shot and killed.

Last week, CMPD said the additional video would be released this week after the family had a chance to view it.

WBTV has learned that Scott’s family viewed the unreleased portions Tuesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. Scott’s family and the public have pleaded for the release of the remaining video by CMPD.

**WARNING: The videos are unedited and very graphic in nature. They may not be suitable for all viewers**
Click here to view the new 16-minute body cam video
**WARNING: The videos are unedited and very graphic in nature. They may not be suitable for all viewers**

It has been ten days since CMPD Chief Kerr Putney held a press conference and released a portion of dash-cam and body camera video, as well as previously unreleased photos and information about what led to the incident with Scott.

The initial videos released by CMPD shows just over a minute of body camera video and two-plus minutes of dash camera video.

Before the family made a written request for the video to be released to the public, an attorney for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department refused a request from WBTV to release the remaining video.

Although CMPD initially denied full access to the video of the scene following Scott’s shooting, CMPD attorney Judith Emken did provide additional details about what was in the video that is being withheld.

Emken said she believes there was not any video recorded prior to the two-minute portion of either the body-worn camera or dash camera video that was released on Saturday. Both cameras belonged to the same police officer.

Emken said that portion of the body cam video shows personnel performing CPR and was not released because it is ‘very violent’ and bloody. She said it consists of the groaning and ‘gurgling sounds of a dying man’s last breaths.’

That portion of the video was not initially shown to Scott’s family either.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s