Durham home damaged when overloaded outlet sparks blaze

(Contributed Photograph)
(Contributed Photograph)

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Officials have said the fire that damaged a Manford Drive home Monday afternoon was accidental, caused by an overloaded outlet in the garage.

Firefighters responded at 3:32 p.m. to 3620 Manford Drive, where they found fire showing from the garage of a two-story home. When they investigated, they found the fire had spread above the garage and was beginning to reach into the home’s attic.

By about 4:20 p.m., the fire was under control, officials said.

The blaze caused damage to the garage, second floor and roof, fire officials said, and no one was at home when the fire started.

One firefighter suffered a possible neck strain battling the flames, officials said.

Fire officials said an air conditioning unit was plugged into the overloaded outlet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s