PRINCETON, N.C. (WNCN) — More than week after Hurricane Matthew hit North Carolina, several schools remain closed or on a delay.
For Tuesday, Johnston and Cumberland County Schools were on a two-hour delay.
Sampson, Edgecombe, Wayne and Robeson County Schools are closed again.
Officials estimate the storm caused roughly $1.5 billion in damage to 100,000 homes, businesses and government buildings.
These figures do not include estimates for making road repairs or replacing items lost in buildings.
Monday, crews were at Princeton Middle and High Schools cleaning up.
“We did have a restoration company that has come in and worked very diligently so that our students will be safe and sound once they return to Princeton High School,” said Tracey Peedin Jones with Johnston County Schools.
Princeton Middle and High Schools were just one of the few buildings in the Johnston County School System that were damaged by Hurricane Matthew’s flood waters.
School officials told CBS North Carolina they hope the district’s insurance and money from the federal government will pay for the damages.
Many families are still hurting from the wrath of Hurricane Matthew, so school counselors are on standby.
“We reached out to our principal last week and opened up our buildings, because we don’t parents not to have any reason not to send students back to school today. So washing machines, dryers at our schools — we’ve made those available to the hard hit areas,” Superintendent Dr. Ross Renfrow said.
“We know there has to be, as you said, returning back to normalcy, and so that’s what [Tuesday’s] about,” Renfrow added. “We afforded the two-hour delay so that our bus drivers would have time and a resource of additional daylight to navigate [Tuesday] morning.”
Many bus drivers have to take different routes to and from school due to more than 100 Johnston County roads that have been deemed unsafe.
Students in Johnston County will attend school for 10 minutes extra each day for the rest of the school year to make up for missed time.